I try to make fabric cabochons using fabric transfer papers to see what I can do with the results. For this trial I use purchased cliparts from Cajoline Scrap, transfer papers from three different brands, Canon inkjet printer, and some Japanese cotton fabric. The cliparts that I bought were vintage button cliparts with flower pictures. I edited the cliparts in Microsoft Words and made them into circle and oval shapes in regular cabochon sizes.
So the first photo in this post is the results of the printed fabrics cut into circle and oval cabochon-like size. My biggest mistake in this trial is that I used patterned cotton fabric to transfer the pictures. I used pink polka dot fabric and printed the pictures on the back side of the it, cek the photo below:
I thought the patterns wouldn’t be a distraction but turned out I was wrong. The color and shapes of the polka dots still showed even the picture fully covered the printed side.
I cut the printed fabrics using My Favorite Things dies and here are the results. One sheet was first attached to felt before being cut so it became sturdy. I still haven’t figured out what I’d use the cut fabrics for, but some ideas came up to mind such as making them as key chain charms or 3D decorations (the one with felt back pops out nicely).
The picture below are the fabric cabochons that I intended to make. The printed fabric was attached with glue to a felt circle then some polyester stuffing was inserted to it. The other one is simply a cut Japanese cotton, attached to felt and stuffed.
Turned out the results were not so satisfying for me. The fabric cabochons bulged on the front and rear, unlike any other resin cabochon. Therefore, I still haven’t decided whether I’d use them for making laced brooches or not. I hope in the future I’ll be able to find out the their best functions but in the meantime I’m already satisfied that I have tried making my own fabric cabochons.
*I tried to look for fabric cabochons in Google and Etsy has beautiful products. It seems that the printed fabrics are attached on a bezels (pendant trays) — such a good idea. Wonder why I didn’t think of it earlier.